Cover Story
  • ???????????????????????????????

    Dickey Mansion Celebrates 100th Birthday

    The grand Dickey Mansion in Buckhead is one of Atlanta’s most historic private homes and cele-brates its 100th anniversary this year. The imposing white home sits across the street from the Gover-nor’s Mansion on West Paces Ferry Road on a gentle rise. It began its life in January of 1915 and has been described by architectural historian William Mitchell, Jr. as “an Old South/New South monument for a ‘lord of the manor’ of his neighborhood.” [p. 97 of J. Neel Reid, Architect]. Many of Atlanta’s wealthiest citizens had been gravitating to the bucolic delights of rural Buckhead in the early years of the 20th century. Grand estates were carved out of the woodlands both for perma-nent and summer homes. The city’s leading architects were often hired to make sure the new homes were both visually impressive and full of the latest amenities. James L. Dickey, Jr. had made his fortune in insurance and was a social leader, who lived on the vast estate owned by his father on Paces Ferry Road. When the senior Dickey died in 1910, the estate was sold and subdivided but James, Jr. kept   Read more...

  • First-Baseball-Team

    Atlanta’s First Baseball Team, The Osceolas

    Baseball in Atlanta has a long and exciting history. But did you know that the city’s first real team appeared almost 140 years ago in the hard days of Reconstruction? At that time, it is probable that the people of Atlanta needed the community unifying appeal of a successful baseball team more than ever.

     

    Created in 1874, the amateur players formed the Osceolas baseball team. Why they selected the name of a Seminole leader from Florida is not known. According to one writer who knew some of the original players, however, the team was composed of “well-known and prominent citizens who played for glory and renown and not for salaries.” Two of the Osceolas, George E. Johnson and Edward T. Payne were shown in their uniforms in a picture published in 1914.

     

    Rules in the old days were never clear cut from all reports. Most Georgia cities and towns had baseball “clubs” like the Osceolas who competed against each other. Fights and open betting on games was common. There were umpires who had to deal with all this from both fans and players. The only firm “rule” seems   Read more...

  • ???????????????????????????????

    Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church

    Ebenezer Baptist Church is one of Atlanta’s most historic sites. This red brick Gothic structure is the historic home to an African-American congregation which began in the 1880s. The church was built between 1914 and 1922 and has been a major Atlanta gathering place for 100 years now.

     

    Perhaps more people of national and international significance have been inside its gracious precincts than any other building in the city. It is linked inextricably with Martin Luther King, Jr. and the American Civil Rights Movement. King was co-pastor at Ebenezer during the 1960s, and the church was the site of his funeral.

     

    Although a new sanctuary for the congregation was built across the street, the original Ebenezer remains a lovingly preserved monument. It was recently restored to its 1960s appearance and is open to the public under the auspices of the National Park Service. It makes a great place to visit during the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.

     

    The sanctuary is wonderfully serene and gives a nice respite for those going to the many other sites in the King Historic   Read more...

  • BuildingAward

    Brookhaven Building Wins Design Award

    Beautifully constructed of granite, steel and glass, the new Turner Lynch Campus Center at Ogle-thorpe University complements the historic section of a college listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Not visible from Peachtree but rather facing Woodrow Way, the Turner Lynch, designed by the Atlanta firm of Collins Cooper Carusi Architects and built by Juneau Construction, imparts energy to the stately Oglethorpe campus.

     

    Named after lead donor Belle Turner Lynch, Oglethorpe alumna and former trustee, the building completed in 2013 defines a distinct part of the campus with characteristic Brookhaven topography. Landscape architects HGOR took care to bridge and restore a nearby creek a safe distance from the structure. One façade, seen above, has a playful chimney that rises above a bold roof line.

     

    Inside the building is a cozy and warm contemporary-style working fireplace, which makes the lower level a kind of living room. There are also conference rooms, offices, dining hall and a Starbuck’s. Turner Lynch Campus Center has won the 2014 International Inter   Read more...

Current Digital Editions - Jan 2015 Issue Click and read one of our Jan 2015 Online Digital Editions
Popular Articles Editors Top Picks
 


Monthly Archives