Some people say books are going away, but Jan Bolgla and her husband Bob Roarty, owners of Atlanta Vintage Books, disagree. The two, who met while working together at a printing company, have always loved books, printing and publishing, but the grind of their demanding 24/7 jobs — Bob as a printing company manager and Jan as a graphic designer — was wearing them down.
Come see why Norcross’ farmer’s market was voted one of the Top 5 in Georgia! Locally and regionally produced veggies and fruit, straight from the grower – lots of fresh winter veggies (like fresh lettuce!) are available as well as organic and naturally grown produce. Meet the farmers and enjoy the season’s best crops.
The Georgia Native Plant Botanical Garden will continue their Friday and Saturday Spring Native Plant Sales on May 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, and 25 from 10 am-2 pm. Available for the Spring Native Plant Sales are many varieties of Native azaleas; a wide selection of Spring ephemerals, a great assortment of Native trees and shrubs and lots of perennial bedding plants. A very special offering is a variety of mature Trillium. And there are many choices of ferns now ready for sale. Purchases can be made by cash or personal check only.
No, we are not referring to the noxious, tri-leafed skin irritant that is the bane of campers. The ivy in question is not chemically poisonous. Yet in certain circumstances, it can be far more insidious than its caustic cousin. English ivy (Hedera Helix) is a staple in many metro Atlanta landscapes. It is cheap, spreads quickly, has pretty leaves, stays green all winter and thrives in poor soil as well as shade. As such, it is valued as a groundcover where grass won’t grow and as erosion control on slopes. Many also use English ivy as an accent in container plantings.
Real estate developers coined the name Brookhaven about 1910, coming from brooks—creeks or streams—and haven, an idyllic place of rest. Some candidates for the geographic “heart” of the community are its MARTA transportation facility or Brookhaven Station, with its pub restaurants and services. However, for recreation and a delightful view of dogs enjoying expansive green space, there is no place quite like Brookhaven Park, fronting Peachtree at 2600 Osborne Road.
As Memorial Day approaches, the courthouse square in Decatur is full of permanent reminders of wartime service. One of the most impressive, if not the largest, is the “Flame of Freedom,” an eternal flame flickering in a large metal basin about halfway between the old and the new courthouses.
Tucked away off Peachtree Industrial Boulevard between Peachtree Corners and Duluth, Berkley Lake began in the late 1940s, after WW II. Developer Frank Coggins centered the community with its landmark namesake Berkley Lake, pictured above, a water impoundment with a dam dating from 1948. Coggins named the lake after his Berkley Blue Granite quarries in Elberton, Georgia.
Memorial Day in the South 100 years ago had a strange dual personality to it. There were actually two celebrations, one for Confederate veterans at the beginning of the month and a much smaller one at the end of May for the “Federal Dead.” Both were all about the Civil War.
In 1912, the biggest news locally was the annual reunion of the South’s United Confederate Veterans (UCV), which was being held in Macon. Although traditional ceremonies were also held in Atlanta at Oakland Cemetery and around the courthouse square in Decatur, many Atlantans went to Macon for the great convocation that year.
A real part of the charm of Decatur is the square and the configuration of roads and buildings around what we call the “old Courthouse,” constructed in 1917. Pictured above, the layout and perspective from the air affords an opportunity to see how Americans surveyed land after removing Indians from the frontier. After the Creek land cession of 1821, the Georgia legislature, then in Milledgeville, created five “mega-counties” generally west of Gwinnett. One was Henry County, named after patriot Patrick Henry. In 1822, lawmakers carved out of Henry County the new DeKalb County, named after Johan DeKalb, a German who served in the Revolutionary War.