A fantastic cheese pie, perfect for any fall holiday table. Canola adds to the silkiness of this decadent creamy pie.
3/4 cup pecan halves
1/2 cup graham cracker
crumbs (125 mL)
2 tsp canola oil (10 mL)
1 lb cream cheese, softened (500g)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (30 mL)
1 Tbsp orange zest (15 mL)
1/3 cup canned whole cranberries (75 mL)
2/3 cup canned whole cranberries (150 mL)
1 cup whipped cream (250 mL)
1. For the crust, preheat oven to 325 °F (160 °C). In food processor fitted with the metal blade, pro-cess pecans and graham crackers until fine about 1 minute. Place in bowl, combine with canola oil until it resembles wet sand. Press evenly into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch (22-cm) pie plate.
2. Place into preheated oven, bake until dry and light-brown looking, about 15 minutes. Place on a cooling rack to cool while preparing the filling.
3. For the filling: In mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed, blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs one at a time until thoroughly blended. Add oil, orange juice and orange zest into mixture. Remove from mixer and fold in cranberries with a rubber spatula.
4. Scrape mixture into baked pie shell. Place into preheated oven; bake until top is lightly brown and slightly cracking, about 40 to 45 minutes. Place on a cooling rack for at least 1 hour to cool completely.
5. Place cranberries into center of cooled pie. Pipe whipped cream around the edge.
Yield: 8 servings.
Tip: You can freeze the entire pie for up to 2 months prior to decorating. Cover pie completely in plas-tic wrap, then wrap with aluminum foil.
For more recipes and culinary tips, visit www.CanolaInfo.org.