Dunwoody is lucky to have an active and successful Preservation Trust [DPT] dedicated to preserving and maintaining local historic sites. It all started in the 1990s with the preservation and restoration of the Cheek-Spruill house. Located at the intersection of Mt. Vernon and Chamblee/Dunwoody roads, this im-pressive structure is a very visible reminder of the area’s history – all thanks to the DPT.
The Cheek-Spruill or “Dunwoody Farmhouse” began life in 1906. Originally one story, it soon rose to its present height in a basic “el” design with impressive double porches on the right. The classically in-spired gables are striking and lend a grander feeling to a simple country farmhouse. The front projecting bay is in the “cutaway” style where the corners are chamfered to give more windows and increase cross ventilation to interior spaces.
The home was originally built by Joberry and Laura Cheek for one of their children according to local histories. The property included several acres, a barn and the usual farm outbuildings from that era. Two of those remain be-side the house. Joberry and Laura lived into the 1930s and you can visit their graves in the nearby New Hope Ceme-tery. The Spruill family owned the house into the 1990s when it was purchased and donated to the Trust.
In recent years the Dunwoody Farmhouse has served as a town hall and an event facility. It is currently rented to a local law firm. To learn more about the Dunwoody Preservation Trust, the Farmhouse and other historic sites in the area, call 770-668-0401 or see www.dunwoodypreservationtrust.org.