Decatur Dispatch - May 2018

• LOCAL, POSITIVE COMMUNITY NEWS H ometown n ews A tlAntA Volume 28, No. 5 • MAY 2018 Decatur Dispatch Covering Decatur, Druid Hills, Emory, Sage Hill and Toco Hill PRICELESS ISSUE! Decatur Mayor Garrett: DeKalb County Needs Comprehensive Plan From where she sits, Mayor Patti Garrett believes any future city annexations in the county need careful study. (ajc.com) Metropolitan planning in sprawling DeKalb is compli- cated business, and Decatur Mayor Patti Garrett is urging that the county be proactive, calling for a basic first step: creation of a comprehensive map. Recent ideas of a new DeKalb city, Greenhaven, gave pause to Mayor Garrett. The Greenhaven proposal died in the House this past win- ter and didn’t come close. It would, though, have created Geor- gia’s second largest city with 300,000 residents, something to consider. Currently DeKalb is working with the Carl Vinson Institute of Government at UGA to “take a broader look at cityhood and annexations,” says Garrett. Her strategic view is that planners should look at DeKalb “as a whole, rather than a bunch of independent movements.” It’s an astute observation. Mayor Garrett believes Decatur should refine its views of annexation for the Vinson study in progress. Unincorpo- rated neighborhoods—such as Decatur Terrace, Forrest Hills and Midway Woods for examples—are localized south of College Ave., between Decatur and Avondale Estates. There are also unincorporated commercial areas north of Decatur. It’s Mayor Garrett’s view that Decatur needs to coordi- nate with the city school board for any strategies for annexa- tion that may arise. If they happen, they’ll be several years out. But it’s forward thinking to begin consideration while comprehensive mapping is in the works. –Dr. Paul Hudson Bishop Candler Honored at Emory Bishop Warren Akin Candler is one of the most significant figures in the history of Emory College and Emory University. In May of 1918, his contributions to both were honored by a presentation of a bronze bust which remains a prominent feature of the Candler School of Theology to this day. The Emory College [Oxford, Georgia] Class of 1893 made the gift to the new university in Atlanta. It was a long day of celebrations on the new campus which con- cluded with a formal banquet at downtown Atlanta’s Pied- mont Hotel. Before that, hundreds of officials and leaders of the university, the Methodist Conference members in town, and local dignitaries gathered on the grounds of the new Emory University. Continued on page 8

RkJQdWJsaXNoZXIy Mjk3MTU=